Hi! I'm Can, a Turkish-American linguist living in Chicago, IL
I specialized in phonetics with emphasis in speech sound and data analysis, and research design in my academic career. I also tinker with discourse analysis, kinesiology, and Eurasian studies. I am now looking for new career opportunities.
Bodybuilding, creative anachronism, hiking and orienteering, snowmobiling, metal music, traveling when I can, and online gaming keep me busy and happy when I'm not working.
M.A. in Eurasian Studies
2013 - 2015
Linguistics track. Completed coursework requirements, and currently finishing thesis. GPA: 3.6/4.0
Thesis title: Turkish L1 on the Acquisition of Vowel Space Area of L2 English
Bloomington, IN, USA
B.A. in Linguistics
2009 - 2013
Graduated with honors. GPA: 3.3/4.0
Exchange student, Linguistics and Philology
2010 - 2011
Erasmus Lifelong Learning Programme exchange student with full government scholarship for two semesters as part of B.A. degree.
2005 - 2009
Foreign language specialization.
2002 - 2005
1997 - 2002
My academic and professional experience in linguistics substantially enabled me to apply theories and research to communication strategies both in the laboratory environment and in the professional working world; to better understand how communication clarifies and sharpens the understanding of products, brands, relationships, and people through structured narratives. I hold myself to this approach in all endeavors, concerning myself with focus on detail and keeping the larger frame in mind. I am keen to work, share, and advance with others who share a similar philosophy.
Would you like to see a copy of my resume?
2016 - 2017
- Provided financial analysis, reports, and client account data on SaaS such as Elite Enterprise.
- Initiated and implemented all aspects of accounting and client billing for legal services.
- Functioned as the primary point of contact for steady communication and workflow between 120+ personally assigned attorneys, their clients, and the firm management to ensure a positive customer-centric service.
- Managed a very fast-paced workflow by prioritizing and tracking tasks and deadlines.
2013 - 2015
- Conducted and managed human subject researches at the Turkic and Central Eurasian Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition Laboratory.
- Created, designed, and implemented 6 unique linguistic experiments and specific research methodologies on Phonetics, Phonology, Morphology, and Syntax of more than 10 rare languages.
- Designed a website (www.ayter.com/ling) for recruiting; recruited over 200 participants. Instructed participants prior to experiments.
- Identified linguistic examinations on speech patterns by interpreting the collected speech data.
- Extracted data, transcribed and annotated recordings using IPA and SAMPA, and formed databases for further data narration, visualization and linguistic analysis.
- Developed and provided evaluations for numerous research articles with extracted results.
- Reconciled and distributed research funds with IRB (Institutional Review Board) approval.
- Co-taught 2 graduate level courses on Linguistics, and designed teaching materials.
- Assisted gym management, personal trainers and group instructors with client integration, customer service, and data entry.
- Maintained the weight-lifting and cardio equipment and provided brief instructions for clients.
IFAA C Fitness Trainer Certificate
- IFAA - Akademie fur die Fitness, Wellness und Gesundheitsbranche | C-Lizenz
Gym & Cardio Instructor
- Instructed groups and individuals of all ages and levels in the fundamentals of fitness and bodybuilding.
- Maintained weight-lifting equipment, treadmills, and other gym equipment.
- Instructed clients on effective workout methods by demonstrating proper techniques and motions.
- Studied kinesiology and anatomy in order to better identify muscle groups and to explain appropriate methods to strengthen muscles.
- Provided bidirectional Turkish and English translations for articles on the monthly publications.
- Established social media channels and content as a team for community building. Promoted and increased content visibility on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Translated and analyzed Turkey's policy agenda regarding Eurasia by scanning both national and international news sources and press agencies.
- Published daily bulletins and reports for public dissemination on behalf of the think tank institution.