Hi! I'm Can, a Turkish-American linguist living in Chicago, IL
I specialized in phonetics with emphasis in speech sound, and data analysis, and research design in my academic career. I also tinker with discourse analysis, kinesiology, and Eurasian studies.
Bodybuilding, creative anachronism, hiking and orienteering, snowmobiling, metal music, traveling when I can, and online gaming keep me busy and happy when I'm not working.
M.A. in Eurasian Studies
2013 - 2015
Linguistics track. Completed coursework requirements, and currently finishing thesis. GPA: 3.6/4.0
Thesis title: Turkish L1 on the Acquisition of Vowel Space Area of L2 English
Bloomington, IN, USA
B.A. in Linguistics
2009 - 2013
Graduated with honors. GPA: 3.3/4.0
Exchange student, Linguistics and Philology
2010 - 2011
Erasmus Lifelong Learning Programme exchange student with full government scholarship for two semesters as part of B.A. degree.
2005 - 2009
Foreign language specialization.
2002 - 2005
1997 - 2002
My academic and professional experience in linguistics substantially enabled me to apply theories and research to communication strategies both in the laboratory environment and in the professional working world; to better understand how communication clarifies and sharpens the understanding of products, brands, relationships, and people through structured narratives. I hold myself to this approach in all endeavors, concerning myself with focus on detail and keeping the larger frame in mind. I am keen to work, share, and advance with others who share a similar philosophy.
Would you like to see a copy of my resume?
Copy Editor & Proofreader
2018 - ongoing
- Check for grammar, spelling, logo usage, color and corporate guidelines, and consistent elements (trademarks, copyright, registration) on all agency printed materials.
- Check keylines against work order for size, legal information, versions, copy, and all elements.
- Primary production contact for all media information and specifications, the production coordinator is responsible for managing relationship with production media publication contacts and managing extension and material delivery dates of files against the media plan.
- Open and close all job numbers for print production and attend billing meetings acting as point person for print production.
- Creates insertion orders with material instructions for publications regarding issue date, placement and creative rotation.
Language and Localization Specialist
2017 - ongoing
- Sworn translator and interpreter at the Consulate General of Turkey, providing translation and interpretation services for clients for power of attorney documents, and federal appointments such as USCIS immigration appointments.
2016 - 2017
- Provided financial analysis, reports, and client account data utilizing Elite Enterprise.
- Initiated and implemented all aspects of accounting and client billing for legal services.
- Functioned as the primary point of contact for steady communication and workflow between 120+ personally assigned attorneys, their clients, and the firm management to ensure a positive customer-centric service.
- Managed a very fast-paced workflow by prioritizing and tracking tasks and deadlines.
2013 - 2015
- Conducted and managed human subject researches at the Turkic and Central Eurasian Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition Laboratory.
- Created, designed, and implemented 6 unique linguistic experiments and specific research methodologies on Phonetics, Phonology, Morphology, and Syntax of more than 10 rare languages.
- Designed a website (www.ayter.com/ling) for recruiting; recruited over 200 participants. Instructed participants prior to experiments.
- Identified linguistic examinations on speech patterns by interpreting the collected speech data.
- Extracted data, transcribed and annotated recordings using IPA and SAMPA, and formed databases for further data narration, visualization and linguistic analysis.
- Developed and provided evaluations for numerous research articles with extracted results.
- Reconciled and distributed research funds with IRB (Institutional Review Board) approval.
- Co-taught 2 graduate level courses on Linguistics, and designed teaching materials.
- Assisted gym management, personal trainers and group instructors with client integration, customer service, and data entry.
- Maintained the weight-lifting and cardio equipment and provided brief instructions for clients.
IFAA C Fitness Trainer Certificate
- IFAA - Akademie fur die Fitness, Wellness und Gesundheitsbranche | C-Lizenz
Gym & Cardio Instructor
- Instructed groups and individuals of all ages and levels in the fundamentals of fitness and bodybuilding.
- Maintained weight-lifting equipment, treadmills, and other gym equipment.
- Instructed clients on effective workout methods by demonstrating proper techniques and motions.
- Studied kinesiology and anatomy in order to better identify muscle groups and to explain appropriate methods to strengthen muscles.
- Provided bidirectional Turkish and English translations for articles on the monthly publications.
- Established social media channels and content as a team for community building. Promoted and increased content visibility on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Translated and analyzed Turkey's policy agenda regarding Eurasia by scanning both national and international news sources and press agencies.
- Published daily bulletins and reports for public dissemination on behalf of the think tank institution.